Olivers was established in 1869 by merchant Benjamin Naylor, and is recognised as one of Otago’s most significant heritage buildings, reinforced by its New Zealand Historic Places Trust category one classification.
Naylor saw the opportunity in the 1860s to open a store providing provisions to the many miners who flocked to the nearby goldfield. Called The Victoria Store, it was housed in what is now Olivers Restaurant and the Victoria Store Brewery.
Over the years and through a series of subsequent owners the complex expanded to form a group of eight stone buildings and structures, built in the vernacular style and spread over half a hectare of land on the corner of Sunderland and Naylor Streets, in the centre of Clyde.
With the support of NZ Historic Places Trust the current owners Andrea and David Ritchie have faithfully restored the traditional schist buildings. The homestead, built by Naylor for his family of seven children, along with the stables, coach and smoke houses have been restored and now offer boutique guest accommodation.